MUSEUMS & ATTRACTIONS
Trondheim – historically Kaupangen, Nidaros and Trondhjem is the third largest city in Norway and home of The Nidaros Cathedral – the world’s northernmost medieval cathedral and Norway’s national sanctuary.
Jewish Museum in Trondheim opened its doors in May 1997. Jews began to settle in Trondheim in 1880, after the change of the Norwegian constitution in 1851, granting Jews permission to settle in Norway.
The first synagogue in Trondheim was established in 1899, and a newer one came into use by 1925. By 1900, 119 Jews were living in Trondheim, reaching 260 by 1940. The Nazi regime confiscated the synagogue in 1941, and used it for military uses. In January 1942, the town Jews’ identification cards were stamped with the letter «J», and confiscations started to be more and more common. Shortly after, Jews from Trondheim began to emigrate to Sweden. The rest were sent to Auschwitz in October 1942. In 1945, after the end of the war, around 80 Jews returned to the city. Out of the 135 individuals sent to Auschwitz, only five (5) remained in Norway. It is unclear how many others, if any, survived. The synagogue was repaired in 1947. At the turn of the 21st century, 120 Jews were living in Trondheim.
Adults: 50 NOK
Children: 25 NOK
Students: 15 NOK